Well, Steve Jobs is back and in control at Apple. In yesterday’s music event, Apple refreshed its iPod line and introduced new iPod nano.
The new nano comes with a built-in 640×480 video camera, microphone, speaker, FM radio & built-in pedometer (nike+). It comes in 8GB (US$150/RM599) and 16GB (US$170/RM719).
Apple also released iTunes 9. iTunes 9 is full of new features, including :
* Improved store navigation, including persistent navigation menu.
* Full window iTunes store.
* Previews from anywhere in the store
* iTunes LP (previously code-named Cocktail) includes lyrics, liner notes, video, photos and “more.”
* iTunes Extras (like DVD extras)
* Genius Mixes.
* App management for the iPhone and iPod touch. You can set up and arrange your home screens through iTunes. You can drag and drop to move certain apps or whole pages of apps.
* Home sharing – enables file transfers between up to five local computers of songs, videos and even apps.
* iTunes Social : You can send items in the iTunes Store as gifts, add them to a wishlist, and publish them to Facebook and Twitter
Palm Pre users should definitely hold off from this upgrade, since iTunes 9 breaks Pre syncing.
For iPhone and iPod touch users who now have many pages of apps, the app management feature is certainly a welcome addition. Another goodie is the iPhone OS 3.1 update. iPhone OS 3.1 gives you Genius recommendations for apps, lets you download ringtones wirelessly and offers a new way to organize apps on your iPhone.
More new features and fixes in iPhone OS 3.1 :
* Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
* iTunes U content organization
* Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
* Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
* Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
* Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
* Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
* Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
* Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
* Paste phone numbers into the keypad
* Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
* Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
* Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
* Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
As usual, jailbreakers and unlockers are advised to wait before upgrading.